Susan has written a guest post to share her love of reading and some of the special books and authors that bring her joy. Comment to tell Susan about yours and you could win a free download of her first novella Love Fang.
Don’t Postpone Joy
by Susan Blexrud
I love the popular slogan (and bumper sticker), “Don’t Postpone Joy.” It reminds me that life is short. I need to grab the gusto.
In the spirit of writers who’ve provided me joy, following are six authors that have moved me, whether by making me laugh out loud or run to find my husband for some afternoon delight. Here, in random order, are some of my favorite joyful reads.
- I love just about anything by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, though she keeps getting better and better so I like her more recent tomes best. Her smoldering sex scenes are a turn-on.
- I started reading the Harry Potter books when they first debuted. I believe my son was 12 years old at the time, and we had great fun reading the books simultaneously and discussing them. Books 1, 4 and 6 remain my favorites.
- Jennifer Cruisie, particularly in collaboration with Bob Mayer, is a stitch. Agnes and the Hitman is one of my favorites.
- Barbara Kingsolver’s The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven are delightful. Though she’s more celebrated for The Poisonwood Bible, I prefer the first two books. Her duo of Taylor and Turtle are so joyful, they make me cry.
- Charlaine Harris’s Southern vampire series snared me from book one. I really don’t have a favorite, through number four (Eric with amnesia) was engrossing. I’m rooting for him to capture Sookie in the end, and I can’t wait for Ms. Harris’s final book of the series. Even if Eric doesn’t prevail, I know I won’t be disappointed with whatever she concocts.
- Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series had me so hooked that I had to ration myself. My daily 50 pages of any of her books was my decadent treat, sometimes for writing my allotment for the day, but more often for dragging myself to exercise class . Twilight and Eclipse are my faves.
CONTEST DETAILSSo, what authors have brought you joy? I’m always in the market for a new book. I’ll provide two commenters with a download of the first story in my series of fang novellas.
Susan Blexrud’s first print book, Love Fang, is now available online through Barnes and Noble and Amazon. She welcomes visitors to her website, www.susanblexrud.com.
Love FangBook Trailer for Love Fang (1st novella)
Dental drills whir and hearts pound as a sexy vampire with an infected fang falls in love with his dentist. Will he come to terms with his 500-year-old guilt and grief? Will she trade her fear for a set of fangs?
Can life become more complicated for Dr. Lauren Marsh? She's dealing with the learning curve of being undead while avoiding a jealous vampire hell-bent on killing her, sidestepping the Italian Mafia, and sustaining her dental practice.
Real Men Have Fangs
John's handsome partner-in-justice, Luc, is back to torment Lauren's best friend. Luc's an ultra-sexy, immortal vampire, but he's stubborn as any ordinary man. Will he surrender to the love invading his stone cold heart?
Recovering from the trauma of kidnapping, Lauren seeks professional help from a creepy vampire doctor who may have more than her well-being in mind. Can she sustain a trauma even more horrendous than the first?