INTERVIEWS and EVENTS at SciFiGuy.ca:
Contests:Needless to say my Halloween Contest ends tonight. Three winners of five books each. Also you can win copies of signed copies of Dark Haven and The Blood King by Gail Z. Martin. Details in my interview with Gail. You have until Midnight Monday. I have just added a giveaway for Bound to Shadows by Keri Arthur. Details here.
- November 2 - Romance author Susan Blexrud will be visiting to talk about her writing and her newest paranormal romance Real Men Have Fangs.
- November 4 - Julie Kenner will be visiting to introduce her new urban fantasy series The Blood Lily Chronicles and the first book Tainted. We'll also be doing a giveaway of an an ARC of Torn and a signed copy of Carpe Demon. You can read my review of Tainted here.
AUTHOR and BOOK NEWS:
Marjorie Liu has joined the Clockwork Storybook group author blog and you can read her first post here. Other members include Mark Finn; Daryl Gregory; Paul Cornell; Chris Roberson; Mattew Sturges; Bill Williams and Bill Willingham
For fans of the Kitty Norville series, Carrie Vaughn answers the question "How many Kitty books will there be?"
And for fans of the Riley Jenson Guardians series, who ask the question " How many books will be in the Riley series?", Keri Arthur's FAQ says -
Nalini Singh says she will have a story in a new anthology next year called Burning Up along with Angela Knight, Virginia Kantra and Meljean Brook.I have nine books planned in total. There will be an offshoot series, set in the same world and featuring Risa, Dia’s little girl. It’ll focus more on the Aedh and demons rather than vamps and werewolves.
Burned, the next House of Night book will be out May 27, 2010 according to P.C. Cast.
- Free prequel scene to the forthcoming Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready
- Seanan McGuire (Rosemary and Rue) at Genreville
- Jessica Slade (Seduced by Shadows) is at Number One Novel talking about writing and reading, and at In Search of Heroes interviewing her hero, Ferris Archer.
- Alexandra Ivy at Literary Escapism
- Nicole Peeler (Tempest Rising) at SciFiChick, at Whatever and at Falcata Times
- Marie Brennan (Onyx Court series) at I Am Write
- Charles de Lint at Genreville
- Jackie Kessler on Blog talk Radio
- Lori Devoti (Amazon Ink) at Silk and Shadows
- Lilith Saintcrow at Genreville
- Cherie Priest (Boneshaker) at If You're Just Joining Us
- Diana Pharaoh Francis (Bitter Night) at Whatever
- Gail Z. Martin (Chronicles of the Necromancer) at Solaris
- Kelly Meding (Three Days to Dead) at Dark Fairie Tales
- P.C. & Kristin Cast television interview at PIX TV (New York)
- Mark Henry guest V-log at Bitten By Books
- Jenna Maclaine (Bound by Sin) at Wicked Little Pixie
- Scott Westerfield (Leviathan) at Tor.com
We’re all part of a terrific interview author Jonathan Maberry did this month called “Still Scary After All These Years” that went live this morning over at his blog - and just in time for Halloween too! Jonathan asked the eight of us to examine such questions as “What defines a horror story?”, “What makes readers shy away from modern horror?” and “Who’s writing good horror today?”Lynn Viehl The pitch for my third Kyndred book (title pending approval) has been accepted, and it will be a crossover Kyndred/Darkyn novel (and to avoid spoilers that's all I'm going to say about it for now), tentatively scheduled for release in late 2010.
This past week the Chicago Sun-Times ran a terrific profile of author Chloe Neill (Friday Night Bites).
League Novel #2 - Born of Fire by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Released October 27, Book trailer for Sins of the Flesh by Caridad Pineiro
Trailer for the new Hearts at Stake YA novel by Alyxandra Harvey coming December 22:
- All Things Urban Fantasy is having a triple giveaway to celebrate hitting 50+ followers. Abigail is giving away Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs, Dark Time by Dakota Banks and Red-headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells. Contest ends Nov. 4. She also has a terrific round up of contests around the blogosphere here.
- SciFiChick has autographed copies of Bite Marks, Once Bitten, Twice Shy, Another One Bites the Dust and Biting the Bullet by Jennifer Rardin. Contest ends November 20.
- The Story Siren has a terrific contest for a copy of Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick, a copy of Fallen by Lauren Kate, and a double sided Hush, Hush poster. Deadline is December 8, 2009.
- Jeri Ready-Smith has a copy of Temped by P.C. & Kristin Cast. Ends Nov. 5.
- Fangs, Fur, and Fey is holding Happy 3-year FFF Anniversary contest with some incredible prizes. Ends Nov. 13.
The Book Smugglers celebrate Halloween week with a review of The Films of John Carpenter plus a post by Meljean Brook on the film Silver Bullet.
Apparently the hit BBC show Being Human about three supernatural roommates (a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost) has been picked up by the SyFy Channel. According to The Hollywood Reporter [via Living True Blood in Dallas] -
The misfits from the hot British dramedy "Being Human" will face another challenge: being American. Syfy has handed out a 13-episode order to a U.S. version of the BBC show from RDF Media USA.Because it's Halloween I had to include this trailer for the spoof Stan Helsing:
Anna Paquin (True Blood) Interview [via Loving True Blood in Dallas]
Here's the 2nd trailer for James Cameron's Avatar - sorry about the commercial up front.
Preview for next weeks Supernatural episode -
Preview for next weeks episode of The Vampire Diaries -
Catherine Karp at Suburban Vampire features a profile of writer/director/actor/musician Annalee Autumn. Autumn's short film "Blood Bound" was a part of this past weekend's Vampire Film Festival in New Orleans. Definitely worth a look. Read the interview.
http://kellygay.blogspot.com or http://chaostitan.blogspot.com ) for information on giveaways, interviews, and a quiz! They'll be giving away several signed copies of their upcoming releases, as well as other prizes.
NOTE: I will be having both Kelly's here on December 2 for a joint guest interview. Don't miss it!
COVERS and ART:
Lurv a la Mode does a terrific profile of Young Adult releases over the next few months. My TBB is groaning already.
Richelle Mead has the French cover for Succubus Dreams.
Dark Faerie Tales has the cover for Glimmerglass by Jenna Black.
Here is a blurb created by Jeri Smith-Ready to go with the cover of Shade that was revealed last week -
16-year-old Aura can see ghosts. Then again, so can everyone around the world who was born after her. In fact, they have a word for the moment of her birth: the Shift. Aura suspects that the Shift might be connected to her missing mystery dad and an event that happened at Newgrange tomb in Ireland a year before her birth.
Ghosts can be annoying at their best. At their worst, as dark, powerful "shades," they can be deadly. So Aura's major goal in life is to undo the Shift and make the ghosts go away.
And then, her boyfriend dies and becomes a ghost.
Release date: May 18, 2010, from Simon Pulse
Chloe Neill has posted the cover copy for Twice Bitten, the third Chicagoland Vampires novel -
Merit, Chicago’s newest vampire, is learning how to play well with others. Other supernaturals, that is. Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene—and to spy for the vamps while she’s at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan’s offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission.More cover silliness over at Odd Shots. Meljean Brook's Demon Forged is again the victim.
Merit must accept the assignment, even though she knows that she’ll probably regret it. And she’s not wrong. Someone is gunning for Gabriel Keene, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She’ll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals—not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries old master vampire.
Abigail at All Things Urban Fantasy asks the question How Much Do UF Covers Influence your Purchases?
Watch this terrific sci-fi painting by Donato Giancola called "The Mechanic" come to life. [via Irene Gallo]
Check out the Dan Dos Santos cover for Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs with out the lettering.
Cover art featured at SciFiGuy.ca this past week includes:
- "The Devil in Me" by Michelle Rowen
- "Through Stone and Sea" by Barb and J.C. Hendee
- "Burning Up" Anthology
- "Bewitched & Betrayed" by Lisa Shearin
- Chimera by Rob Thurman
- "Twice Bitten" by Chloe Neill
- "Ghosts & Echoes" by Lyn Benedict
AROUND the BLOGOSPHERE:
I am in awe of the Book Smugglers who have been running a week long series of Halloween themed posts. Here is a sampling of some of the terrific posts -
Very short stories, courtesy of Wired. com. [via Lilith Saintcrow]
BABBLING ABOUT BOOKS, AND MORE! has a very finny Intercourse With A Vampire *Video Spoof*
Forbes Traveller Magazine profiles 10 fabulous vampire vacations [via Loving True Blood in Dallas]
Vamps invade BBC Radio in this 30-minute look at bloodsuckers in books, TV, and films. [via P.N. Elrod]
You have to love statistics like these [via Publishers Weekly] -
According to Forbes, the creator of Middle Earth is the 5th top-grossing dead celeb.Jeaniene Frost points us to this halloween video of urban fantasy / paranormal romance authors Jill Myles, Ilona Andrews, Meljean Brook, Nalini Singh, and Patrice Michelle, as you've never seen them before.
Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings has a great post with Author News, Interesting Tidbits and More for 10-28-09
As long as I’ve been working on it, I thought I would feel miserable to end my story. I really expected that typing “forever” would have me busting out in tears. Instead, I felt a moment of overwhelming satisfaction – the kind you can’t fake – and then a sense of peace.
- Lynn Viehl commenting on concluding her StarDoc Series.
Carrie Vaughn Goes Steampunk
Nancy Holder at the Finger Lakes
Tracey O'Hara at her first book store signing for Night's Cold Kiss
Charlaine Harris with dogs Oscar (dachshund), Rocky (boxer-spaniel crossbreed), and Scrunch (terrier). [via Loving True Blood in Dallas]